Rambling from Ogden Point

Cards From Ogden Point
is a free E-Card (Posty) service operated by Ron McLean from his home near Ogden Point in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Subscribe to Rambling from Ogden Point

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I'm happily retired living on Canada's West Coast. The system says I'm a Cancer -- I'm a Gemini.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

March 2005 News

March 31 2005
The overall effect of entering the CardMaster competition became very obvious as I checked the statistics from the various counters on the pages. The combination of providing bright spring flowers for Easter Cards and the exposure that came with just being in the competition made March 2005 the busiest month ever on my various sites -- especially Cards From Ogden Point.The other competitors in the contest provided some very good "traditional cards" that were like greeting cards you would buy in a store and send in the mail. I'm sure they got a lot of attention as well. Cards From Ogden Point provided variety because my cards were the only cards that were more like a photo postcard with pictures of flowers that had in fact been taken in the two weeks prior to Easter. The feedback I got indicated that the different approach was appreciated because it allowed those who wanted more traditional cards and/or cards with a religious theme to find them at the other sites, and my site provided pleasing pictures for those that wanted a visual celebration of the spring season. The reaction to the celebration of spring included those who were enjoying spring weather where they lived, and those who chose the cards because it reminded them of spring's impending arrival because it was still winter for them.I had more visits during the month of March than the card service had experienced totally since putting it on line in September 2004. The biggest day was Good Friday.
The March statistics for Cards From Ogden Point:
Daily unique visitors for the month of March 2005: 1085
Page views for the month of March 2005: 8611
Daily unique visitors for Friday March 25: 247
Page Views For March Friday 25: 1430
Number of countries represented in the monthly totals: 36
Different languages of site visitors for March 2005: 16
These visitors boosted the overall count on the "Cards Received" page to 1262.
(And remember that the counters use cookies to track the visitor progress through the site so the above numbers do not include visitors whose browsers block cookies.)
An interesting side benefit of having the site and of having found ways to make it appealing and interesting was that it reunited me with some family members that I had lost connection with due to various family moves and deaths.A person who liked my site had sent cards and messages to friends and family telling them to check out my site. One of the people she sent an email to was a first cousin of mine that I had not been in contact with for several years. That cousin sent the card to her sister in California who I had last seen when the two sisters were together. The cousin in California contacted me. The loop of the messages included BC, the UK, Manitoba and California.That definitely shows how the internet has made the world a much smaller place.
March 15 2005
At the end of February, I took a sequence of pictures from a seat on a driftwood log on the beach at Holland Point in Victoria BC. The pictures show the Ogden Point Breakwater which is about half a mile from my vantage point. I created a group of web pages to show the pictures with some explanation on March 1. The pictures show the effect of using different focal length lenses from a 10.5mm fisheye lens to a 400mm telephoto lens.
You can see the pictures in that series by clicking here.
March 14 2005
On March 14 I received notice of the Spring Postcard Championship from the "My Postcards Network" and decided to create Easter Card Pages to enter in that competition.
You can view the Easter Cards here.
You can view the votes/reviews here.
Those pages ended up winning 4th place in the CardMaster Championship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home