Rambling from Ogden Point

Cards From Ogden Point
is a free E-Card (Posty) service operated by Ron McLean from his home near Ogden Point in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Subscribe to Rambling from Ogden Point

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I'm happily retired living on Canada's West Coast. The system says I'm a Cancer -- I'm a Gemini.

Monday, May 15, 2006

May 15 Site Revisions

Mother's Day has come and gone with a reasonably good visitor count on my statistic counters.
There were a few less visitors than last year in the 8 days from Sunday to Sunday ending with Mother's Day. This year's visitors viewed more pages -- in fact more than twice as many.
2005 visitors: 496 page views: 3534
2006 visitors: 456 page views: 7116

The Mother's Day card pages in 2005 were the first pages that included any kind of slide show of the pictures available. They included a random rotating selection of some of the cards available in the Mother's Day group -- not all the cards -- just some of them. Since that time as I developed the site I have made every photo card available from the slide shows that run on the index pages in each card category and from slide shows and "Rotating Q's" that are linked from the various pages in the site. The experience in Mother's Day 2005 had indicated an interest in that type of presentation and the counters a year later show that more cards are sent by clicking the pictures in the "Random Posty Slide Shows" than by searching through the index pages to use the thumbnail pictures.
The counters also show that there are a lot more people who visit the site to browse through the slide shows than there are people who visit to send a Posty. I created the site to share the beauty I have seen through my camera viewfinder so those guests that view several hundred pictures in a sitting are equally as gratifying as the ones who come to send one special picture to someone they care about.
The attention the site gets has grown steadily through its life. The addition of the slide show feature added to the average number of pages viewed by each visitor -- by almost double.

The idea of adding Posties -- or some form of E-card to a site to attract new and returning visitors to a web site has been successful in my case. My PhotoServer has all of the pictures that are on the Cards From Ogden Point site available in various formats -- many of which are easier to navigate and quicker to load than the cards. For example click here for My Recent Pictures Album. The PhotoServer gets 2 to 3 visitors per day, Cards From Ogden Point has averaged over 40 visitors per day in 2006. The 2 sites are optimized the same way and submitted to the same search engines in the same way. They have been submitted to all the same listing services in the same manner. They are in the same physical place and in the same "cyberspace" on the internet. In fact Cards From Ogden Point is actually "inside" the PhotoServer navigation wise.

Cards From Ogden Point is listed in only one place -- The MyPostCards.com Network -- that the PhotoServer is not listed. That service is responsible for directing a large percentage of the higher traffic volume to Cards From Ogden Point -- either from the contests running on the http://champs.posty.com/contests or from the searches for cards from visitors to the network's search page. I pay to use the card sending and receiving service from the network, and the network provides that service and traffic to my site.

For 6 weeks ending today Cards From Ogden Point was also listed in the Card Master Top 50. That service is free and it bills itself as a service that will refer visitors to your card site. In April and the first 15 days of May 2006 it referred a grand total of 3 visitors to my site. I guess I got what I wasn't paying for. I removed the badge and the links from my pages today.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Ron I think I got you figured out now!?
Here in the United States we have the CIA and the FBI and bunch of other groups within the military, The White House and Congress who do alot of spying over the internet and beyond!
You my friend surely must give more knowledge to them groups cause after reading all of them thar stats you have here "You The One Big Brother" they might need. Ever think of coming out of retirement and working again. Check with our goverment before G.B. leaves office LMAO
He Ron, he spying on everyone who he thinks is a terrorist and you my friend seem to be a threat to the other cardmasters. Could be why you only got 14-% of the votes this time. LMAO/ROTF!
Yep you can print this one if you wish. I no afraid of the Big Boys! Sometimes I wonder if they think DearWebby and his Angels are the biggest spies on the internet when they just Angels like us with Broken Wings! I tried my best in my journal to get others to go vote for the one they like best last time and will again, again and again to lift up the cardmasters. No matter who they be!
You my friend had one Admirer last time and their friend too. If it wasn't for them you would have been at the bottom without any shoes! LMAO
Have fun my friend and remember-
May you always have a Rainbow after a storm! Love ya my friend and your photos too!
I also ctl.c and ctl.v just incase this doesn't send so I can use it again! LMAO :-P

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Big Ron, ya entering the next Chumpenship?

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home