Rambling from Ogden Point

Cards From Ogden Point
is a free E-Card (Posty) service operated by Ron McLean from his home near Ogden Point in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Subscribe to Rambling from Ogden Point

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I'm happily retired living on Canada's West Coast. The system says I'm a Cancer -- I'm a Gemini.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

July 2005 News

July 2005
I have been constantly upgrading how I display my pictures on my websites in the year they have been on line. The creation of the Albums using ACDSee software in January was the best step in that process to date. I have left the older versions of the photo displays on line for computers that can't handle the albums the ACDSee program creates. In July 2005 I have gone one step further in the refinement of the display process. I analyzed the results from my visitor counters and found that out of 5108 visitors to the Cards From Ogden Point site only 2 were using screen resolutions less than 800 X 600 pixels. 50% of the visitors were using 1024 X 768 resolution, 40% were using 800 X 600 resolution, and 8.5% were using resolutions greater than 1024 X 768. I had been creating my albums to work on 680 X 480 pixel screens which meant that they were being displayed with less quality than the viewers could have viewed. I created some albums so that they were best viewed on 800 X 600 resolutions, and I made the album window fit that screen size when it opened. The results were obvious the first time I viewed these albums. I then created the May, June, and July Large and small albums in the larger size. I also created and posted new special albums for my trip to Manitoba, the Victoria Tall Ships Festival, the Canada Day Fireworks, and a demo of a new camera I've been using. I put links to all those albums on my www.ronmclean.bc.ca page and started telling people about them. The results are showing that they are working as there are visitors looking at large numbers of pages in those albums -- partly because of the content and mostly because the content they want to see is being well displayed for them.
I have studied NLP which is about how people use language to convey what is happening with them in their lives. It deals with how people show how they understand and deal with their world through their communications. The lesson that kept repeating in my NLP training is that "There is no content in content worth knowing, What matters is context, process and structure." That lesson is repeated in my websites. The best or the worst photographs mean nothing unless they are displayed in a manner whose "context process and structure" keeps the viewer on the site. They have to be presented in a pleasing and effective manner -- no matter how good (or bad) they may seem to be.
These albums will work well in any browser resolution from 800 X 600 and larger. In smaller resolutions such as 640 X 480, the individual pictures and pages will be larger than full screen. They are best viewed in 1024 X 768 Pixels as in that resolution, the pictures and the slide show controls are all displayed on the screen at once without having to scroll down for the "controls."
Once you open the album you can scroll through the thumbnail pages or click an individual thumbnail picture to see it larger. To view the album as a slide show, click any picture and then click the red "Play" button under the picture. The delay is about 10 seconds per slide so nothing will happen until the picture changes 10 sec. after you push the button.
Click here for an album of pictures from my summer trip to Manitoba.
Click here for an album of pictures from the 2005 Victoria Tall Ships Festival.
Click here for an album of pictures of the Canda Day 2005 fireworks.
Click here for an album of my most recent pictures.
Click here for an album of pictures from a Minolta Z5 camera.
I recently added a Konica-Minolta Dimage Z5 camera to my collection. I use it when I don't want the bulk and hassle of my Nikon SLR Camera outfit. I'm very pleased with the results from the Z5.
Click here for albums of my better pictures from 2002 to date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home