Rambling from Ogden Point

Cards From Ogden Point
is a free E-Card (Posty) service operated by Ron McLean from his home near Ogden Point in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Subscribe to Rambling from Ogden Point

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I'm happily retired living on Canada's West Coast. The system says I'm a Cancer -- I'm a Gemini.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

August 2005 News

August 31 2005
Click here for a map showing the locations of the 100 most recent visitors to Cards From Ogden Point
(The map is provided by the Site Meter counter on the index pages. You can see the locations from which the site was visited by placing your mouse over the dots on the map.)
Click here for a map of the most recent visitors to Cards From Ogden Point using Google Maps.
August 30 marked the first anniversary of http://www.ogdenpoint.ca/. That means that all my web pages have been on line for a year. They have grown and changed quite a lot in that year.The most visited site is Cards From Ogden Point.
I had originally thought that either http://www.ronmclean.bc.ca/ or http://www.ogdenpoint.ca/ would be my primary web site and that the card site would be a secondary site that might keep people coming back to the other sites. That turned out to be the opposite of what really happened. Cards From Ogden Point became the primary focus and the site that has taught me the most about building and operating a web site. Its visitor count is much different than either of the other sites could ever have attracted.
The increase in visit length that showed up in early August continued with the average of page views per visitor in August ending up to be 17.6 pages. This is double the average for the first 7 months of the year. This increase is primarily because of the "Slide Show" links. The longest visits were a viewer from Honduras who visited 621 pages one day and one from Brooklyn N.Y. who viewed 362 pages.
In August I also overcame some of the difficulty I had originally encountered with my PhotoServer and I created a new Front Page for that site that works much better than the one that the server software provides. The changes there came after I found that the vendor who supplied the software has disappeared from the internet taking any hope of upgrades and/or tech support with them. In the process of exploring other server systems, I found ways to improve the system I was already using. The original server address of http://ip-ronaldmclean.hs2go.net still worked and I continued to use it Until January 2006 when it no longer worked. When the address followed the hs2go software vendor into cyberspace, I used a contingency address and system that allowed my sites to operate from the server computer in my living room. The front page from the PhotoServer is also available using the address: http://www.photoserver.ogdenpoint.ca/ where it will operate with or without the hs2go DNS server.
(Updated in January 2006.)
I also spent some time working with my WebCams during August to get them to be visible without the hassle of a password.
My webcams are now available by clicking this link: My Webcam Page (None of the webcams require a password.)
For Those who are interested in statistics,Here are some of the details of theCards From Ogden Pointsite as of August 31:
Size: 278mb.
Size on Disk: 317mb.
Number of Files: 18,735
Number of Folders: 76
Number of URL's: 15,132
Visitors to Date in 2005: 5746
Page Views to Date in 2005: 53,555
Visitors since August 23 2004: 6769
Number of home countries of 2005 visitors: 59
August 23 2005
August 23 is the first anniversary of Cards From Ogden Point. To mark the occasion, I switched the site over to its new location and format. The links below are now the final links for the site.
The peek at the slide show function that came from the "Random Posty", "Tall Ships", and "New Pictures" links on the "old" site appear to have been successful in persuading visitors to view more of the site. The average page views per visitor count for the first 7 months of 2005 was approximately 9 pages viewed per visitor. The early part of August with only the 3 slide show links the views per visitor has averaged over 20 pages with some visitors looking at 200 or 300 pictures.
Those numbers should climb as the "new" site offers slide shows for every card category as well as an expanded number of choices in the "Random Posties" function.
August 8 2005
I have spent several days reorganizing Cards From Ogden Point in preparation for a new version of the site to go on line for the site's first anniversary.
The site wasn't really a site -- it was just a group of loosely connected web pages that had numerous errors and inconsistencies from page to page. It is now assembled as a web site should be and it will run completely on the PhotoServer computer in my living room for a while to check it out. In time some of the index pages will return to my web space that is provided by Telus (my ISP) as part of my internet account. That will allow me to have some pages on an alternate server so I can take the Photoserver off line for some much needed service.
You can click the links below for the pages in their new location.
The old site will remain on line for a short while as I check out the new site.
Welcome Page
Simple Index

Random Posty Slide Show
The Original 10 Pages
New Listings Page
Table Of Contents
Remember to change your bookmarks.
The slide shows seem to be quite popular.
There were a few slide shows accessible from the old site and they generated some interest according to the counters. The new site has slide shows for every card category, and every card is available on a feature called a "Q" that cycles through the actual card pages like a slide show.
Prior to the slide shows the average visit to the site was approximately 8.5 pages per visit. The first 8 days in August the guests are averaging 15 page views per visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home